Monday, June 26, 2006

Chinese food is the real melting pot

We've known for a long time that the only sure bet for good food anywhere in the world is eating at a Chinese restaurant. In my humble opinion, nothing beats Cuban-Chinese cuisine. The Youngs in Miami have the best ever. Canton number 3 in beautiful downtown Westchester is the place to eat, and it is followed by a close second in Bamberg, Germany, where the egg rolls are the size of bricks.

Each culture showcases some tasty treat in its interpretation of the food, so of course, there's plenty of pork in Miami fare, and the German version had, I recall, quite a bit of cabbage (where do you think saurkraut comes from?).

It's a no-brainer to realize that the local Chinese restaurant in the booming metropolis of our little bedroom community in the outskirts of Atlanta should serve fine barbecued ribs and chicken. Hate to continue with that cliche, but you can guess what kind of fruit they put out on the buffet. Yep. It sure is.

Anyway, I don't know anybody that doesn't like something in a Chinese restaurant, even if it's just munching on the fortune cookies (do you ever play that game where you read the fortune and then add "in bed" to the end of it? I know, it's crass, but it's funny).

Well, our local restaurant is the melting pot for the community. Typically, there's a steady turnover of Mexicans early in the evening as they get off the factory shift, and then it kind of segues into the hospital staff coming over for a shift change or a quick dinner break, and then it's really a mixed bag. Tonight I was fascinated by the clientele because the owner's wife doesn't speak English. Instead, she's pretty fluent in Spanish. I wonder about her, I mean, it's not terribly useful to speak only Chinese, but to speak Chinese AND Spanish. Well, what can I say?

Anyway, that dynamic is already pretty interesting, but tonight there was a guy from Ethiopia speaking Tigrinya, and rather loudly by the way. Why do we speak so loudly on cell phones? Anyway, I was waiting to see how that played out with the cashier, but there was no great entertainment there. After all, numbers are numbers, and ordering is, well, by the numbers. That, and have you noticed that all Chinese restaurants have the same picture for the Happy Family and General Tso's Chicken?

Anybody ever wonder who is General Tso and why we want his chicken? I digress.

The point, and I have one, is that everybody likes chinese food. It's like comfort food, only without the macaroni and cheese.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Chinesse food. I go to a Chinesse restaurant next to the Vatican at least once a month. In that way I can have something different than the pasta that we eat everyday. These days I'm enjoying Portorrican food everyday!

Bego said...

Bwahaha.

Embrace it and live it, Nat. We are tacky cubans. There is no escape.

Brozie said...

You can also read the fortune and add "without pants," equally crass, but at least good for a smile.

Brozie said...

I've been to that restaurant in Rome, with Jaime and Kristi- it's awesome! Best chinese food I've ever had. Best Italian food I've ever had was in London. Go figure : )

Anonymous said...

Brozie, Are you the DRE of SPX?

Bego said...

The not-so-notorious BIG of ATL. Or maybe the CPT of VBS. Or possibly the don't ID the DRE, who is lurking about incognito.

BWAHAHAHA.

Anonymous said...

ja,ja,ja ... Good call Begonita!