Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Everybody has a crazy aunt, no?

Yesterday, John the consumer received his big secret box of cheap dvds that he buys on-line. Some people collect stamps; some people collect coins. My hubby collects movies. Every once in a while, he'll indulge my interests and get something I like. High on my list of movies that I wanted were Bell, Book and Candle, with Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak, and co-starring a very cute Jack Lemmon, and my all time favorite Christmas movie (I concede that you may think it's an odd choice) Auntie Mame starring Rosalind Russell. I think it's brilliant.

He of the On-Line Purchase disagrees heartily, believing that Mame, starring Lucille Ball, is a better film. Whatever. I like the black and white one best, although I do enjoy the one with Lucille Ball. They both have strengths, after all. I love Robert Preston and Bea Arthur in Mame, but it just happens that I saw Auntie Mame first, and so, definitively, that's the best one. It's my blog, so I said so.

Anyway, that got me thinking about crazy aunts. We all have them, right? I guess I have the potential to be one, too, and let me just go on record that I know I have the weird quirks to qualify. But I digress, this is about the quirky behavior that one of my aunts exhibits, namely, that she says what's on her mind--unedited. Let's just say, she speaks Truths, capital "T."

Once, she stated matter of factly to my brother and me, that she thinks everyone secretly enjoys the smell of their own farts. That's probably the champion of all statements coming from her. I think it gives you an idea. Another time, she announced that if she could, she would strip out her backbone, and clean it with a toothbrush and some WD40. To be honest, I can totally relate with that. It would be great to be able to give myself a little touch up like that.

So, tonight I'll settle in to watch the classic Auntie Mame, hopefully picking up some tips for endearing myself to the nieces and nephews. I'll try and remember to avoid conversations about bodily functions.

I can always leave that up to my brother: Peo.

3 comments:

PurpleP said...

peo

Anonymous said...

Ok, wise one, I'm just trying to find a template that doesn't assault my eyes every time I look at my blog. Once I find one that I like, I'll stay there. And this change wasn't entirely on purpose, I deleted my old code my accident. So HA. :-P

Anonymous said...

You keep track of where your old boyfriends live *and* how many wives they've had? Wow. Stalker.