Thursday, October 05, 2006

my geeky Star Trek yearnings

So it's no surprise that my Star Trek interest would lead me to read the science news. Scary, I know. Few people know that I was torn between geology and the arts, with literature winning at the last minute. If my life had gone in another direction and I had listened to the very persuasive recruiters, I'd be in Alaska working for a Big Oil company.

Thank God!

No doubt it would have been an interesting adventure, but I have no regrets. I think maybe I would have had many had I stayed the course. Who knows. Maybe I'll write a book about my alternate universe.

Anyway, I'm happy to be sitting in my office listening to Frank Sinatra's duets (he sings with Jimmy Buffet, how cool is that?) and complaining about students that write poorly. I keep interminable office hours, and no one visits. Then of course, at the last minute I'll have a full house--goobers asking for extra credit. Sheesh!

In the meantime, I enjoy the solitude and the music, and get some writing done, or like now, some reading. As I was perusing the news sources this morning, I ran across this article about transporting matter. Very cool.

It isn't exactly Mr. Scott and his transporter, but it's still pretty cool. I mean, instead of art imitating life, it's the other way around.

Incidentally, for you Trekkies and Trekkers, Captain Kirk never, ever said, "Beam me up, Scotty."

No comments: