Thursday, July 20, 2006

A morning at the health department


Feeling like poor white trash again today. It's getting to be a monthly ritual with Vic, who has undergone more vaccinations in preparation for college than the first months of her life, when I was certain the pediatrician was intent on making her a pin cushion.

Alas, today's adventure may just be her last, but I have visions of repeating this at least two more times.

This morning's foray into the county bureaucracy and world of people on a socio-economic level unfamiliar to us is always an adventure. Forget about calling this an opportunity to experience life outside my 1950's situation-comedy life. After all, I'm not the one that lives in Pleasantville, but that's another story for another day. Today's experience just drives home the point that ethnicity, language, race, you-name-it has less to do with what we do with our lives than the empowering mighty dollar.

Let's face it, I am a middle class snob, with middle class tastes, and middle class values. I turn my nose down at the poor and rich alike. If I was uncomfortable watching the people in the health department today, I do believe I would be equally uncomfortable sitting in some high-faluting country club.

I mean, honestly, I may turn up my nose at Kool-Aid, but I'd also take a pass on an expensive champagne in favor of a nice cold Heinekin. Who knew I'd prefer the excesses of pizza rolls to caviar? But please, don't offer me saltines with spray cheese, mmmkay?

3 comments:

PurpleP said...

Hey you gotta love Pleasantville!

Anonymous said...

Poor Vic!

Anonymous said...

had to laugh...achi loves saltines and spray cheese (yuk!).