Friday, June 16, 2006

ach! another camera-less day

I'm a loser. How many times have I said here that I must carry my camera with me? I used to, and then I stopped. And now, once again, another photo opportunity down the can.

I have posted several times in the past about a man in an electric wheelchair that rides up and down a busy stretch of road, tempting fate, death, and calamity. The police have been to our home to take a statement of complaint. Unfortunately, that was a public relations ploy, because the nut is still on the road, but I have thrown in the towel, given up my crusade. In short, I have ceased and desisted the complaints. It's probably bad karma to just not care about it anymore, but that's where I stand at the moment. The man clearly has no cares, and the police certainly don't do anything about it. I refuse to believe that with the amount of patrols in that area that a cop hasn't seen him. Whatever.

Well, now my uncharitable behavior (and thoughts) has indeed resulted in Karma finding me.

Get this: my African-American-Man-In-An-Electric-Wheelchair-Rolling-Along-Busy-Streets citings have increased 400%.

  • On a family outing to a state park with a giant carved rock, we saw a black man in an electric wheelchair holding up traffic on a busy state road.
  • On my exit from work earlier this week, I spotted a different black man maneuvering his electric wheelchair over rough terrain on the side of a major avenue headed towards the interstate.
  • Yesterday on the way home, yet another guy rolling along a hilly access road.
  • And finally, this morning, YET ANOTHER ONE menacing the morning commuters in a residential area where everybody is trying to get to the interstate or other throughways.
Usually, in spite of my agitation, I utter a brief prayer for his (their!) guardian angels to be alert.

Do you think this is just some new trend in cheap transportation? Could these men be involved in some grassroots effort to influence gas prices? Could this be their answer to fuel conservation?

Maybe I'll just start a letterwriting campaign to the EPA.

No comments: