Friday, March 10, 2006

UPDATE: a las malas

Vicky is standing over me demanding that I post an original entry, because even though I doctored the one earlier today, it was originally posted in The Secret Blog, which I killed off. She's come back to the office twice, thumping the veins in her arm asking for the next entry, like a heroin addict. Or a blog addict. Whatever.

This is crazy! Criticized by the very people I repeatedly mock in these lines. She thinks I'm going to avoid mocking her for leaving the keys locked in her car this morning. Hmmmm. Perhaps I'll get to that later, as well.

My mother, too, calls me to tell me I haven't updated the blog, and to hop to it. My, my, my. I imagine the editors at the New York Times might be less demanding.

So, here I am trying to dream up something else to say, when I really wanted to be looking for pictures of Ken and Barbie.

Actually, there is a lovely tribute that I can include today, and which, in retrospect really should have been the original entry: Last night I had the pleasure of sitting through 15 middle school speeches on the uplifting, yet terribly cliche topic of "How Bright is My Future."

My future is about 60 watts right now...but I expect it to get brighter very soon. Anyway, it's not about me.

Like I said, 15 middle schoolers telling me about their future. It could have been terrible, but I sat next to the teacher, who among her charges is famously beloved for her sense of humor and her ability to squeeze blood out of a turnip in addition to winning essays and speeches out of prepubescent knuckleheads.

In short, they produce for her because she demands it, expects it, and then goes to their events to support them and beem with pride regardless of the outcome. It's a recipe for success, because three of the six slots for the next level of competition were filled by her students (who competed against the other middle schools in the county). This included the distinction of taking first place in the boys category, and first and second place in the girls category. Kudos and Accolades.

These kids are special. They are incredibly competitive when producing the work, and then, after the competition, incredibly supportive of each other. I love that. There are no petty jealousies, or meanspiritedness about the results, simply sincere well-wishes, and the remarkable pride that it was "one of their own" that won.

These guys are going to conquer the world. And do it with a smile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you for my fix....i m off to school now.

<3, vicky