Monday, March 06, 2006

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY, but this has nothing to do with that


I had an interesting conversation with some friends yesterday, a somewhat serious discussion on what should and shouldn't go into a blog. There was a humorous incident that involved some people that I mock with a great deal of regularity, as uncharitable as that is. I admit that it makes me a meanie, albeit a funny meanie, but it is certainly NOTHING I would ever post about. There's mean, and then there's mean, and I don't think I have it in me to be cruel.

Or I am a coward.

I guess it takes a certain ability to generate a thick skin as a writer. My friend is a sportswriter--he claims that he tells it like is, and doesn't soften the news. I understand that reporting is all about recounting what happens in a particular event. That does take courage, because people do complain, and accuse writers of having personal agendas and such.

But I wasn't talking about the news, I was talking about a blog, which amounts to sharing my diary with the world. Making fun of a caricature I create by captializing on some stereotypes is one thing; gossiping about my family and friends is entirely different.

I would feel like a traitor to the very intimacy of family and friendship. I'd feel like Harriet the Spy.


Of course, if there was some secret place to post, then all bets are off, but that kinda defeats the objective, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to you. Happy birthay to you. Happy birthday Tia Bego. Happy Birthday to you.
(When I told Luly last week your birthday was coming up, she asked me very matter-of-factly, "Cuando vamos al 'birthday' de Tia Bego," as if you were just a block away)--maybe we can celebrate in May as well... :)

Bego said...

Ha another sucky birthday. I think I will just have my date changed to May. Will Luly wear a Princess hat with me?