Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Mitvoch

I hate Wednesdays; they fall so inconveniently in the middle of the week. Mondays tend to be organizational days, and Tuesdays are just nondescript. But Wednesday! A daylong reminder of everything that's coming due by the end of the week.

At least I have the day off, which is a big relief. I used to teach on Wednesdays, and that was pretty bad because then I'd be gone all day, and still have Wednesday night duty with catechism at the church, so I wouldn't set foot in the house until after 9 o'clock.

Anyway, at least now I don't have to go into work, I can stay home and do more work. The sad thing about Wednesday is that it's a psychological trap. I always make a big effort to get some cleaning done, so I don't have to do too much on the weekend. If I could cue some music now, it'd be that piece they play when people lose on gameshows: wah, wah, waah. No matter how much laundry I get done today, the hampers will be overflowing by Saturday.

It's a conspiracy.

I'll just sit here drinking my coffee and eating my bowl of Cream of Wheat (have I mentioned at all that it's cold?) and wait for the dryer to finish. Meanwhile, inexplicably, Peggy Lee sings "Stuck in the Middle with You."

No comments: