Tuesday, January 31, 2006

On Death and Taxes, and Other Minutiae

John's uncle, Tio Humberto, died yesterday after suffering some time with an assortment of ailments. It's very sad to know that he won't be around the next time we assault Esther with our loud presence. I was totally enchanted by him and his stories of a pre-Castro Cuba. Of course, the real passion and diatribes were about the post-Castro Cuba, and those stories were just as entertaining, as they were seasoned with his immense bitterness and total distaste for the man, the regime, and the circumstances that left him unable to practice his life's work, dentistry. Sometimes when we encounter these old birds unable to relinquish the past, it's easy enough to dismiss them as eccentric, or unkindly, as crazy.

In Tio Humberto's case, however, I was lucky enough to be entertained by his lectures on "the situation." I was never a captive audience, although I can appreciate that it looked that way. A simple question usually resulted in an extemporaneous analysis. Call me weird, but I enjoyed hearing from the vast storehouse of his knowledge and personal assessment of all things Cuban. May he rest in peace.

***

So I finally got my W-2 and the sad and pathetic information that it carries. Really, I think it's time for a new American Revolution to get rid of the tax code. I vote we throw Chai tea into Biscayne Bay. Who the hell drinks Chai tea anyway? It tastes like potpourri.

***

Vicky is not only driving, but has a car thanks to my parents' generosity (and my mother's desire to have a snazzy new Camry). Thanks Mom. No, really, I mean it. Thanks.

I hear Chai tea is really good for the nerves.

***

The weather outside is frightful...oops, wrong season. We've settled into the typical winter weather around here. Cold. Wet. Windy. The big bonus has been a couple of sunny days, but that doesn't last. May is so far away.

No comments: