Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Where's the Common Sense?

Today I was unable to get any grading done in the work room because I couldn't help overhearing the phone conversation between a new instructor and the disabilities office. It was weirdly entertaining in that way we are drawn to slow down to catch a peek at an accident. I knew the whole thing was a trainwreck, but like the art patrons staring at Kramer, I just couldn't turn away.

The poor guy took the document that details the educational approach for a particular disability, and went down the list, item by item, clarifying the points. One example absolutely cracked me up because this guy, a good ol' country boy, wants to be compliant but is astonished by the things he has to do.

He quoted from one of the directives to "give all oral assignments a corresponding written directive." He wanted to know, "So if I tell my class to turn to page 141 and read, do I have to write it down for the student?"

I don't know what is funnier--the concessions and adaptations, or this guy's to-the-letter compliance.

When did common sense get thrown out in favor of legislated bureaucracy? I'm sorry for this teacher, but more sorry for the student with the disability who hasn't learned how to adapt to life.

No comments: