Friday, September 08, 2006

Star Trek lives!

OK, I'm a gigantic nerd. Accept it, I certainly do. Today is the 40th anniversary of Star Trek.


Wasn't Shatner, um, Captain Kirk "hot" back in the day? I choose not to see the bloated pictures of an old guy. Except, I suppose we all get old and bloated, huh?

Anyway, there are probably tributes all over the web today. While I admit to being a fan of the franchise, I've never attended one of the various conventions held for sci-fi freaks. Does that make me a lesser fan? Um, how about it keeps me in the realm of the normal spectrum.

Nevertheless, I admit to having dressed up in a gold command uniform about a hundred years ago when I was teaching yearbook. I do believe there is a picture, too, but you're never gonna see that here.

My real love was for Voyager, until "Boobs-in-Space" came aboard, and the series shifted away from Captain Janeway and became all about that stupid Playboy-Bunny-in-Space. I thought Janeway was a compelling character, conflicted, like all good heroes. Then the writers ruined it by having her do something that contradicted everything she had stood for: she went back in time to save Seven of Nine. Sheesh. I guess you could argue that makes her human. I think that makes the writers stupid. Just sayin'.

I'm over it. She's still my favorite captain.

Live long and prosper!

2 comments:

Bego said...

There will be no Star Wars references in this post.

[delete] [delete] [snip] [snip]

Anonymous said...

Princess leia. Slave girl outfit.
'nuff said.