Saturday, July 08, 2006

I'm moving to the projects, rich people bug me

So today, on the front page of our local newspaper, in a town where any number of crimes, or, GASP, some good things are happening, or at least, interesting things (see that on the same front page there's a blurb about one of our neighbor's seeking to convert their privately owned land for conservation) there's an article about whiny parents and their cheerleader daughters not getting to be on the football squad. I won't even poke fun of the high school, because that situation could have happened anywhere.

It turns out, that the football cheerleaders are an elite squad, i.e., you have to TRY OUT AND MAKE the competition team in order to be eligible for the football squad. In plain language, that means you have to be really good to be on the team. Um, duh?

This reminds me of a short story I read in high school, "Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut. Here's a link to a review, in case you're interested. It's a story about egalitarianism, and...dare I say it, what can happen in a society that continues to make everything available to everyone, regardless of talent, or drive, or skill. What is the point of achievement, if it isn't unique? What is the point of self esteem, if it isn't earned?

The thing about science fiction (which I love) is that it is brilliant social commentary without getting caught up in the problems of making enemies. You see, the enemy is usually so caught up in his agenda to notice the little ole sci-fi philosopher.

Blech. I have a foul taste in my mouth.

No comments: