Monday, July 31, 2006

I'm aghast

So, it has been an eventful couple of days since I last posted. I could talk about the great work John and Jonathan have been doing in the basement--the excitement of a phonecall from Christy, who was supposed to be at the movies but needed rescuing because the theater lost power--the excitement of the first day back at school this morning--the weird department meeting where one of my colleagues stood at the door while the chairman waved her in, repeatedly, only to have to get up and open the door, thinking it was locked, only to discover the crazy woman had just washed her hands and didn't want to get germs on it from the handle--to the wild ride to the tax assessors offiice to pay for my (expired!) tag with a cop trailing me the whole way, to the mad dash to the doctor's office for athletic physicals for J and C, to the guy who came in with his finger dangling and the rush to try to save his finger while they figuratively gave us the finger and made us wait, to Jonathan's first experience with, um, the hernia test. Yeah. I could talk about those things, but I actually found something that trumps all of it.

You see, the Episcopal Church in North Carolina is suffering, along with other churches, with a decline in young people seeking spirituality. Personally, I think they need to get over themselves. I mean, here's the church, here's the steeple, go inside, you're the people, but I guess in the 21st century, some people think church is like Burger King, and they need to get it their way. Whatever.

Check out this neat (I mean, nauseous) article from Newsweek about a priest who conducts his mass in hip-hop. Weird.

But weirder still is this hip-hop translation of the 23d Psalm:

The Lord is all that, I need for nothing
He allows me to chill.
He keeps me from being heated
And allows me to breathe easy.
He guides my life so that
I can represent and give
Shouts out in his Name
And even though I walk through
The Hood of death,I don't back down
For you have my back.
The fact that you have me covered
Allows me to chill.
He provides me with back-up
In front of my player-haters
And I know that I am a baller
And life will be phat
I fall back in the Lord's crib
For the rest of my life.

I have no response to that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

pretty pathetic

Anonymous said...

I will start learning the Reagetton's music then!