Friday, June 09, 2006

Yet another politically incorrect observation

Generally, I try to stay away from political commentary here--mostly because I am woefully ignorant of the machinations of Powers That Be, whether in local, state, federal, or international arenas. On the other hand, I would absolutely love to fill pages and pages on social commentary, but I fear that will bore you, as most of you read this for the pictures and tidbits on our personal lives. Nevertheless, today I had another one of those chance encounters that makes me rethink my career choice. I honestly believe that if I had to do it over, I would study anthropology.

What elicited today's rant? After dropping off the boys downtown, I found myself close to the main road that leads to my office. Sure, it was going to take me through neighborhoods that might slow me down (the interstate going out of the city would be empty) but the houses and trees and parks would make the drive at least pretty.

Well, this morning I encountered a sign advertising the Hosea Williams Bail Bonding Service. That part didn't really bother me all that much, I mean, Hosea Williams was a pretty famous guy in the Civil Rights Movement. He was, actually, a very interesting man, who had distinguished himself prior to his involvement with the civil rights movement by serving under Patton in an all black unit, getting a purple heart, going back to school to not only finish high school but get both a bachelor's and master's degree in chemistry. He was a pretty smart guy. He also started an initiative to feed the homeless. In short, a man who accomplished quite a bit and earned himself the distinction of being an icon in the African-American community.

The Bail Bonds connection actually makes sense in this context. During the volatile days of demonstrations and arrests, black leaders encouraged protestors to get arrested as a tactic to over tax the judicial system, from law enforcement to the courts. It was a pretty effective strategy, and organizations such as the NAACP defrayed the costs of those arrests by financing the bail bonds to get the protestors out of jail.

So far, all you have is a history lesson. That's because I haven't described the artwork on the advertisement. Another missed photo opportunity that I want to beat myself over, so my description will have to suffice. Imagine, if you will, a caricature of Hosea Williams riding atop a pimp car. Yep, that's what I said--a great big shiny cadillac in bright bright red. Tacky, huh?

But wait, there's more.

He is driving away from a jailhouse that has had its bars ripped out by the cadillac. Yes, in the cartoon you can see the rope tied to the bars being hauled by the car. Man. That really offends me.

That is the equivalent, in my opinion, of a Cuban in Miami advertising for his pool supply store by posting a cartoon of a starving, sunburned, dehydrated balsero, bobbing in the Gulf Stream on one of the store's fancy vanity rafts. Tell me somebody wouldn't burn down the guy's business.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Gosh. My jaw is still hittin' the floor over that 'un, Maria. The sheer idiocy of it all is ... ginormous.