Thursday, May 11, 2006

soap operas, addictions, and spoilers

I'll poke fun of John today, because he doesn't read this anyway[cue evil laughter]. For years, the girls and I have been trying to convince him that The Gilmore Girls is a cute show, kind of like Northern Exposure in its quirkiness. He was a fan of Northern Exposure. Actually, I think he was just a fan of Janine Turner (the pilot). In a weird six degrees of separation moment, I recently found out that Cecil's Mom is friends with her. Okay, whatever.

Anyway, as we picked up each subsequent series of The Gilmore Girls provided to us by our drug-dealer, um, dvd dealer (for those of you who don't know, in a fit of anger and disgust, we cancelled cable and never got around to subscribing to satellite again) we would jump into my bed and zip through episode after episode until finally, we got our grubby hands on season 5.

The consensus is that Emily Gilmore reminds us of my mother-in-law. Perhaps not charitable, but....anyway, she looks like Emily, and the whole DAR thing and society stuff matches up. John forever criticizes us that we are hooked on a stupid soap opera, and who wants tragedies, and why are we so hooked, bla bla bla. Of course, the criticism is flying a mile a minute from the office, where he is doing what? Yeah, you know: playing those infernal RPGs on his computer. I wonder if he would get it if I placed some stones on his desk?

Anyway, the other night he comes to bed tired, so I start to turn off the episode that I'm watching. He says, "Don't. I'll fall asleep soon and I know you'll want to finish watching the episode." Sweet, huh?

At three am we,yes, I said we finally turned off the tv. Guess who got hooked? HA!!!

He finished watching all of season five, had a few defensive things to say about Emily/his mother (oops, did we say some bad things?), decided that Rory was morally reprehensible (he fast forwards the scenes with her in them) and now has a crush on Lorelai.

And!!!!! He went to the WB official website and read the season 6 spoilers. That man has no patience.

2 comments:

Rob Suarez said...

I'm surprised he's not hooked on "24". Watching it on the DVD's with no commercials... priceless!

Bego said...

We've never seen it. Perhaps we can get Achi to bring it up (or is it Battlestar that he owns?).

Who knows? Our tv viewing habits are rather unusual since we gave up cable and satellite. In short, we have nothing, or the random DVD.