Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Where's PETA when you need them?


Sometimes inspiration comes from some crazy places, and in the few hours that I've been up today, I've managed to observe a whole week's worth of blogs.

Let's begin with Vicky coming right back home because her class was cancelled. She met me at the door, excited about going to the Coretta Scott King viewing before the funeral. True, it was literally down the street from us, and it would have been an incredible source of people watching, but....No. Wrong reason to go. That, and we would have been sucked into the mob of mourners, poseurs, and attention-getters and emerged sometime late next week.

She had to console herself with an episode of The Gilmore Girls before going to her meeting.

Then at the university, another one of those moments presented itself when I wish I had my camera. We are always bemoaning the fact that we rarely carry around our cameras, and then I cry and moan about it. And today a photo opportunity happened, and where is my camera? At home. Fully charged. Sitting on my desk.

If I wasn't usually trying to use my time wisely and grade papers or plan classes, I'd be sitting in the center of campus watching the moving exhibits. Unfortunately, it would suck all my time, so I try to get to my desk in a hurry, and stay there doing my penance, uhm, grading, until it's time to go.

Not today! Today I decided to treat myself to some fancy fruit juice from the juice bar (pear nectar--yummy!), when my eyes were assaulted by a student wearing, of all things, an ermine stole. She looked liked some freaky anachronism, Cardinal Richelieu in the flesh.

A stole and jeans, complete with emu boots. Man, I wish I was a spy and had a hidden camera hooked up to my glasses. Everytime I gasp in horror or amazement or amusement it automatically snaps a picture. Unfortunately I would have missed that shot, because in my shock I forgot to breathe. Sadly there was no one in the vicinity that I could direct a comment to, so I took my juice and ambled back to my hole.

Mental note: don't forget the camera again.

No comments: