Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Sum-Sum-Summertime


Summer vacation is here. I know this because there is no traffic in the morning. I zipped to work in almost half the time because there were no school zones, and definitely no Cheese Wagons--the big yellow school buses.

The kids are lining up their summer activities, with work and conferences, and of course sleeping in and not doing the chores I list for them. That's about par for the course.

Things are winding down at the college, too. The term ends in less than 10 days, so I am seeing the effects of poor study habits and lack of preparation. Students who were barely making it are dropping like flies.

I don't get it. Why stick out 90% of the course, only to lose steam at the end and bail. I could never take an "F" so casually. Of course, they make things easy for me this way, but I'd really like to see them have some success.

Maybe it's the weather. The oppressive heat has arrived and that just makes me lethargic. At some point I've got to tackle the mess in the back yard. At some point....

In the meantime, I'll embrace my favorite Southern icon, Scarlett O'Hara, for "tomorrow is another day."

No comments: